Monday, January 17

Fabulous Feasting and Festivities

I started the weekend with the brilliant idea join Papi (my grandfather) at his annual Tampa RV Super Show.  For the sake of my mother's sanity, please be aware that the following pictures were taken while stopped. I was not in danger of killing anyone.
Trekkin' gangsta style.

Coffee to-go.

Clearwater at sunset.
 The show is held at the Tampa State Fairgrounds. The place is flippin’ huge. Luckily, my grandfather had a golf cart. We are spoiled.  For further spoiling, we went out for dinner at Joe’s Crab Shack in Clearwater Beach. I know shellfish is not that great for you, but it’s a once-in-a-while thing. I LOVED IT.
Crab bibs=sex appeal.

Dungeness crab, red potatoes, and the largest ear of corn i have ever seen- simply steamed.
And so began my food-filled weekend.  

We went to the condo for the night. When we arrived, I came upon a chocolate covered assortment.
Convenient labeling.

Raspberry ball.
 We spent the next 4 hours playing Rummikub. I am the reigning champ. As yooj.

The next day, I woke up bright and early to head for the gym.
On my way...
 I followed with a heart healthy breakfast of oatmeal and a bowl of fruit.
Blurry cell phone pic of gigantic oatmeal bowl... What is with Clearwaterans and their huge portions??
  When the suggestion to see the remake of the John Wayne classic True Grit came up at breakfast, I was all for it. Great movie. There were a few slow parts, but overall, I liked it. It was a real western, which I can really appreciate. Movies don’t come like that anymore. Bravo Spielberg. 

The rest of the afternoon was spent window shopping, which was perf because I am broke- as a joke. We worked up our appetite and headed over to P.J.’s. I had a seared tuna steak with a side of broccoli. Yes, it was delicious and amazing. 
Cell phone managed a good capture.
 While at lunch, Papi and Princess Peach (his fiancé) convinced me to stay another day. Princess Peach’s daughter and son-in-law joined us later that night. 

After the greeting, catching up, and a little wine drinking, we head across the street to my favorite Italian restaurantay. Everything in Clearwater is my favorite. I ordered a sea bass piccata with sautéed spinach.
 I was tempted to not even post this picture because it makes it look less-than-stellar at best. Thanks crap-phone. But let me just say that this was definitely top five BEST fish I have ever eaten (I think the only thing that beats it is fresh, whole Red Snapper on the beach in the Bahamas with the fam and my honey bunny). 

We took our desserts home because there was no way we could fit them in after the rather large meal. What would have been a beautiful dessert presentation in the restaurant was ruined by the to-go box and plastic wrapper.
Chocolate ice cream filled with chocolate-covered cherries with a hard chocolate shell. Did I mention chocolate?
 It was still pretty good sans the gourmet magic.

After dinner, we had another late night. Talking, wine, and more talking seems to make time fly by.   
    
My Clearwater Adventure came to an end with a bang. 
Greek omelet and grits. I did NOT eat the bread.
 I feel like the majority of the great memories in my life revolve around food (or are closely associated). The rest just fades into the background. My tummy spent this past weekend in a continual state of happiness. I had such a great time being with my family. I think the older I get, the more I appreciate it; and as Moving Day creeps ever nearer, the more I feel the need to soak up as much of it as I can. Nothing beats quality family time- or good food.

No comments:

Post a Comment