For a while, I was doing the whole, “snack all day “ deal, but recently, I have started trying something a little different. Before, I was eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert. It’s kind of been my routine for forever. But I started to realize a little something. First of all, the usual “snack” size featured on many health blogs is just a tease—a nibble really. When I eat, I expect something substantial. Ten almonds just doesn’t cut it for me.
Secondly, I was eating a snack in between breakfast and lunch even though I wasn’t hungry. I figured, I have to keep my metabolism up, so I have to eat then. By the time snack time rolled around at about 3 or 4, I felt as though I could eat a horse. By dinner time, I was in raging hunger mode. This led to quick, thoughtless dinners or very early dinners, which left me hungry again by 7.
Solution: Eat 4 normal-sized meals every day. Yep, you heard right- 4 meals a day. You can look at that as either two breakfasts, or two lunches, but either way, there are three meals pre-dinner. Fantastico.
Some of you might be thinking, “This girl is nuts.” Oh contraire. This seems to really work for me, and I always try to stick with what works.
So, for those of you who might be curious as to what a typical day of eating is like for me, here are some usual meals put into a spiffy schedule format. Enjoy!
- Protein pudding, 1 cup of strawberries, 1 cup of Rice Chex
|The protein pudding was "meh" (8 oz water, 2 scoops vanilla protein, 2 tsp instant vanilla pudding). It didn't thicken quite like I'd hoped...|
- 2 cups of veggies of choice scrambled in 3 eggs in 1 tsp butter
- 1 cup plain yogurt, handful of almonds, a baby handful of crasins, and a chopped apple
- 1 cup brown rice, 2 tbsp salsa, ½ cucumber, 1 large carrot, 2 tbsp hummus
|My day is not complete without a ridiculous amount of vegetables.|
- Turkey and cheese melt, pickle, 2 cups cabbage sautéed in a tsp olive oil
- Salad beast (basically the biggest salad ever) with lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and ½ cup cottage cheese either seasoned or sweetened with somethin’
- Toast with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow Cheese and a sliced pear
|I had to eat all of the pear "ends" to make this picture look pretty.|
- 2 cups roasted veggies and 4 slices of turkey breast
- 1 whole sweet potato topped with 1 whole onion sautéed in ½ tbsp butta
6:30 ish- 7 PM
- Taco salad with chicken breast and chips OTS
|This was a beast and had to be eaten in two separate sittings. Also, chips never got plated. They just went from bag to mouth...|
- 1 hamburger with mustard, 1 cup sauerkraut, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 1 small salad
- 1 cup quinoa sautéed with 1 cup spinach, ½ cup red peppers, ½ cup onion, and a little feta cheese in ½ tbsp butter
- 1 apple with peanut butter
- 1 cup yogurt with ½ cup papaya and a dark chocolate square
- 2 dark chocolate squares
- ...or, if I'm full (like tonight) a cup of hot Cinnamon Apple Tea will suffice.
|Giving my tea some love.|