Thursday, December 30

Bringing Back Memories

Wednesday was just another day of Christmas break “relaxation”, A.K.A. Boresville. I don’t do well with this thing they like to call “relaxation” over extended periods of time. Cabin fever sets in pretty quickly with me. I woke up early for whatever stupid reason (I can’t manage to sleep in because I haven’t done enough activity during the day to warrant tiredness), and as per usual, one of the first things that came to mind was breakfast...

Tuesday night, we sat around the table talking about things I miss that aren’t gluten-free. One of them was English muffins. My step dad and I were gushing over Thomas’ “Nooks and Crannies” and how the topping of your choice wiggles its way into the little holes creating pockets of flavor explosion. Meanwhile, my mom was looking at us like we were nuts. We didn’t care.

I must’ve gone to bed thinking about these delectable goodies, because Wednesday morning, the Ener-G English muffins came to mind. So, I excitedly ran to the kitchen to grab the package.

I pulled them out, and being the weird food lover that I am, I smelled them. It was like a cross between sourdough and Hawaiian sweet rolls (another thing I miss). Guess what else was in this muffin- nooks and crannies. YEYAH!
Check it.
I was so excited about it I made a mad dash for the peanut butter. I toasted the muffin for the usual length of time. When I pulled them out, something interesting occurred to me. The muffins got softer in the toaster. Huh? I am not quite sure, but I think they make it a little doughy so that when you toast it, it seems fresh baked. It was strange, but I wasn’t going to question it. To my further delight, when I bit into it, it was flakey and almost biscuit-like. It was super fluffy and moist. The taste was like a very mild sourdough bread.

Muff with peanut butter and an orange.
I don’t know how they manage to keep their products so moist and also give them a long shelf-life. It’s amazing. Needless to say, I enjoyed these English muffins. With companies like Ener-G around, there is no need to go without your favorite breads and other usually gluten-filled goodies. Thomas’ still have a special place in my heart, but I think I might be able learn to love again.

After breakfast, I did the usual sprucing up of the self. It was rest day on Wednesday, so I went for a leisurely stroll with the poopers. After that I had lunch, wasted time, recorded, wasted more time, cleaned the kitchen, AND wasted more time.
Lunchtime eats: sweet potato and curry rice.

I would go out and do something, but where I live, there is nothing to do but shop, and I am on a no-money-spending kick so it’s a no-go. I guess all the time wasting made me tired, so I took a little nap.


The afternoon wasted away and the evening crept up in me. To my surprise, I received a package in the mail (I am popular these days). My fiancé and I decided that we were not getting Christmas gifts this year, so I wasn’t expecting anything. But I opened the package and got this:
Estee Lauder Sensuous. Luurve it.

Within a few minutes I found myself twirling in my room like a 5 year old in a ballerina costume smelling my new perfume. I am so lucky (and spoiled). It made my night. The night was made complete with this classic soup and sandwich combo.
Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwich.

Tomorrow I am going to find something fun to do. I don’t care what, but this staying home doing nothing thing is killing me. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment