Thursday, March 3

Simply Creative

In keeping with the “change it up” trend I mentioned in “Routine Adjustment,” I opted out of eating some normal foods and got simply creative on Wednesday. I say simple, because it was, well, simple! I am notorious for making meals out of whatever happens to be in the refrigerator. Luckily, it’s springtime, which means we are getting mounds of greens from the local organic garden. Healthy and delicious. I went to bed thinking about hot liquid thanks to my Biff and a mutual friend, and decided that for lunch, I was craving some sort of soup concoction. 


Voila!

Kitchen Sink Soup

This soup contains:
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • 1 cup cooked butternut squash
  • ¼ cup leeks, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 2 handfuls curly kale
  • 5 large Swiss chard leaves
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 cup precooked macaroni noodles
  • Italian seasoning
  • Pepper
  • Garlic salt

This soup was super easy. Blend ½ of the squash with the broth, water, and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Add the leaks and celery and cook at a slow boil for 3 minutes. If you like the stems of the greens, add them now and cook for 3 more minutes. Add carrots and cook until tender. Finally, add greens and cooked noodles and simmer until the leaves are wilted and tender. Enjoy!! I know I did.

About an hour after I ate this phenomenally tasty and healthy soup, I was feeling charitable. So I concocted another understated masterpiece for Mons’ lunch.
Partially demolished Easy Mac
  Easy Mac
  • 2 cups cooked macaroni noodles
  • 1 tbsp Italian dressing
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Italian seasoning
  • Garlic salt
  • ¼-½ cup shredded cheese of your choice
Seriously, this is so quick and so easy, a five yr old cold make it. But please, don't let your small children near hot kitchen appliances...

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat up the noodles in a sauce pan with Italian dressing, olive oil, and seasoning. Once its sizzling, add ½ of the cheese and stir it all up. Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish. Top with remaining and sprinkle a little more Italian seasoning on top. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Devour and enjoy.

Making delicious foods do not have to be hard to make, expensive, or unhealthy. All you have to do is get a little creative, but remember to keep it simple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment